We have a special guest for this BEST OF BONUS episode – Sia Knight, The College Savvy Coach. She is a former teacher, counselor, administrator turned entrepreneur (founder of The College Savvy Coach) and educational consultant. She brings us some “pearls of wisdom” about scholarship and college admission in general.
We are very fortunate to have her as a guest. She shares some college admission secrets with us such as how to maximize your HS counselor to your advantage, how to compose an application strategy for college and some of the biggest mistakes that lead to less money for college.
[spp-tweet tweet=”It’s not Who You Know, it’s really WHO KNOWS YOU!”]
Tips from The College Savvy Coach:
- Get to know your H.S. Counselor. When they need to recommend someone for a scholarship, let it be you.
- Teach your child to be their own best advocate.
- Start your child with an internship or leadership building activity in middle school or early high school.
- Teach your student to foster relationships early with other volunteer organizations if you are not that academic super star (to leverage later for scholarships). An example would be Boys & Girls clubs, Urban League or youth groups of fraternal organizations.
- How to be a GREAT student – Good isn’t good enough! Colleges are looking for GREAT students: Grades, References, Extracurricular, Avatar (online presence) & Test Score.
- Take courses in high school that are rigorous enough to let colleges know you can handle challenging courses.
- Get recommendations from school counselor and supplementary ones as needed.
- Don’t rush senior year and load up on extracurricular activities. Plan for that earlier in high school.
- Believe that college reps do look at your online (google, Facebook, instagram etc…) image!
- Be aware of the upcoming changes to the SAT and ACT.
How to contact Sia Knight:
website – Sia Knight, The College Savvy Coach
FACEBOOK – The College Savvy Coach
Instagram – College Savvy Coach