Imagine having enough money in scholarships to cover your college and graduate school education, twice. That is exactly what happened to Pam Andrews (The Scholarship Shark) and her oldest son. With the tenacity, relentless pursuit and focus of a shark, keen
organizational skills and her son’s commitment to the process, they were able to secure over $700k in scholarships. He is now attending his dream school in Florida, pursuing his animation/art college education.
This episode is an in depth conversation with Pam about their journey which started with the decision she and her husband made to homeschool all four of their children and encourage the benefits of education.
Pam talks about the challenges she faced all along the way and did not begin the scholarship process until her son’s senior year. It was at that time that they teamed up and put together a plan to not only search for colleges, but pursue scholarships as a way to pay for them.
Her motto is: “Don’t just get in, get it financed!”
“Schools don’t want well-rounded kids, they want a diverse student body. Be the best YOU!”
Here are her tips for parents of High School Juniors:
- 3-layer approach: Look for schools that offer Merit Aid/Merit Awards, then those that meet 100% of “UN-MET NEED” and then every eligible private scholarships.
- Get Organized! Go to local library and use the books there that list scholarships/reference
- Identify what your child wants to do (career exploration)
- Begin developing relationships with colleges that you want to or have visited
- Attend pre-college programs. Great way to experience the campus and courses
- Start searching for scholarships NOW!
- Be intentional with your child’s last two years – find volunteer opportunities related to their career
- Watch those deadlines! Aim for two weeks before REAL deadline to get all of the info needed.
Links mentioned in this episode:
ACTION ITEM: TEXT Money4College to#44222-
to get on her email list for the upcoming book & e-Course